Khaman Dhokla – खमन ढोकला; is a most famous traditional Guajarati Indian snack. This is made up by steaming a Gram Flour (बेसन/चने का आटा) and tempering with worm sugar syrup. As like other Guajarati dishes, it’s also have sweet and salty taste.
Whenever I made it become yummy except my first attempt, that time it’s made so ugly and we throw it but in second try it become very close to restaurant taste and by trying and trying I got perfect one and now it’s always become perfect… 😀
Try out this recipe and tell me how your Khaman Dhokla was made here in comment box.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- GramFlour (बेसन/चने का आटा) - 1cup
- Semolina(सूजी) - 1tbsp.
- Lemon juice (नींबू का रस) - 1 ½ tsp.
- Eno - 1 tsp.
- Ginger (अदरक) - 1 inch
- Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च) - 5
- Curry leaves (करी पत्ते) - 10-15
- Coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) - 2 tbsp.
- Fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल) - ¼
- Mustardseeds (सरसों) - ½tsp.
- Cumin (जीरा) seeds - ½tsp.
- Sesame(तिल) seeds - 1tsp.
- Sugar (चीनी) - 1tbsp.
- Asafoetida(हींग) - 1pinch
- Curd (दही) - ¼cup
- Oil - 3tbsp.
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt to taste.
- Crush ginger (अदरक) & green chilli (हरी मिर्च). Slit green chilli (हरी मिर्च) lengthwise and cut into halves. Keep aside.
- Take 3-4 cup of water in steamer at bottom and heat it over medium flame.
- Take gram flour (बेसन/चने का आटा), semolina (सूजी), lemon juice (नींबू का रस), crushed ginger (अदरक)-green chilli (हरी मिर्च), ¾ cup water, curd (दही), 1 tsp. oil and salt to taste. Mix well into smooth batter without lumps. Add eno and stir in one direction for approx. 1 minute. You will notice its size would increase to almost double.
- Now, pour batter immediately into each greased plate and fill it up to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place plates in steamer and steam for 10-12 minutes over medium flame.
- After 10-12 minutes, insert a knife or toothpick into dhokla and check if it comes out clean. If it does, then it is ready otherwise cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Takeout plates from steamer and let them cool for few minutes. Cut fluffy khaman dhokla into small squares pieces using knife.
- Heat 2 tbsp. Oil in small pan; add mustard seeds (सरसों) & asafoetida (हींग). When mustard seeds (सरसों) start crackling add cumin (जीरा) seeds, sesame (तिल) seeds, curry leaves (करी पत्ते) and slited green chilli (हरी मिर्च). Sauté them for few seconds.
- Add 1/3 cup water and sugar; bring it to boil and cook it for a minute on high heat.
- Now pour it over Khaman dhokla and toss gently until each dhokla is coated well with tempering.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut. Serve cool.
|Image courtesy of Sri via Wikimedia Commons|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.