Being a North India I grow up eating Rajma Chawal (not only Rajma Chawal… 😜), they are awesome. I am very very very found of like other North Indian. Making Rajma is a weekly dish in my house from my childhood to till now.
This rajma recipe is traditional North Indian Recipe which all moms’ make. I learn it from my mom and my mom learns it from her mom, so basically recipe is very old. Rajma best go with pea rice or jeera rice or plain rice.
What are you waiting for go and make this yummy, mouth watering rajma chawal recipe. Please share your experience here in comment box below.
8 hrPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
9 hrTotal Time
- Kidney beans (राजमा) - 1 big bowl
- Onion (प्याज) - 6-8 medium
- Tomato (टमाटर) - 5-6 medium
- Ginger (अदरक) - 1 inch
- Garlic (लहसुन) - 6-8 cloves
- Green chilli (हरी मिर्च) - 1-2 medium
- Cumin seeds (जीरा) - ½ tsp.
- Garam masala - ½ tsp.
- Turmeric (हल्दी) powder - ½ tbsp.
- Deggi mirch (देगी मिर्च) - ½ tsp.
- Oil (तेल) - 2-3 tbsp.
- Salt (नमक) to taste.
- Wash and soak kidney beans (राजमा) overnight or 8 hours in 4 big bowl water.
- Next morning boil overnight soaked kidney beans (राजमा) with all water & pinch of salt in pressure cooker for 3 whistle and 20 minute simmer or until now cooked completely.
- In the mean while, make a separate paste of tomato (टमाटर), ginger (अदरक) & garlic (लहसुन). Keep aside.
- Finely chop onion (प्याज) & green chilli (हरी मिर्च). Keep aside.
- When kidney beans (राजमा) cooked completely in pressure cooker (let the pressure down naturally), remove the lid and separate beans and water with the help of strainer. (Keep water side we use it later.)
- Now in a pan or wok heat oil (तेल) and add cumin seeds (जीरा) and chopped green chilli (हरी मिर्च). Sauté for a minute.
- Now add ginger (अदरक) & garlic (लहसुन) paste, sauté till raw aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away.
- Now add chopped onion (प्याज) and sauté till not become translucent.
- After that add tomato (टमाटर) paste. Mix well and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add garam masala, turmeric (हल्दी) powder, deggi mirch (देगी मिर्च) & salt (नमक) to taste. Mix well and cook till oil start separating from side of masala.
- It’s a time to add boiled kidney beans (राजमा), mix well gently. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of sautéing add water which we separates from boiled kidney beans (राजमा). If require add more already boiled water, but don’t make gravy too watery.
- Bring it to boil and simmer the heat. Cook for next 5-10 minutes so gravy become creamy and looks good.
- Your Rajma is ready serve hot with pea rice or jeera rice or plain rice.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not going to cost extra but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little commission and that amount will help in surviving this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these affiliate links.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 103.00
Price: Out of stock
Price: INR 85.00
Price: Out of stock