Gujiya (गुझिया) is a traditional Indian sweet / pastry. It is specially made in Holi festival season in North India, not only in holi (होली) festival you can make it any time. Gujiya is a khoya (खोया), semolina (सूजी) and dry fruit stuffed fried Indian pastry. There are two type of gujiya one fry and sugar coated other one is fry only. My favourite is fry only; I don’t like sugar coated gujiya.
Try out this tradition gujiya at your home and share your experience with us.
For more such recipes subscribe or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
GujiyaCourse: Desserts, Sweets, Veg FoodCuisine: Indian
This Holi special Indian sweet dumplings or pastry called Gujiya are every once favorite. Can have as snack or dessert too.
Semolina (सूजी) – 25 grams
All purpose flour (मैदा) – 125 grams
Sweetened condensed milk – 1/2 tin (approx. 200 grams)
Almonds (बादाम) – 15-20
Cashew nuts (काजू) – 15-20
Raisins (किशमिश) – 15-20
Green cardamom (छोटी इलायची) powder – 1/4 tsp.
Water (पानी) for dough; as much required.
Vegetable Oil (तेल) for frying.
- For Sugar Coated Gujiya:
Sugar (चीनी) – 1 cup
- Grate the coconut (नारियल). Chop almonds (बादाम) and cashew nuts (काजू). Keep aside all.
- Roast semolina (सूजी) in a low flame over a heavy base pan.
- When its start changing color all sweetened condensed milk, green cardamom (छोटी इलायची) powder, raisins (किशमिश), grated coconut (नारियल), chopped almonds (बादाम) and cashew nuts (काजू). Mix well.
- Over a low flame cook till mixture not become dry. Keep it aside to cool in a room temperature.
- Now take a deep bowl add all purpose flour (मैदा) and 2 tbsp. oil, rub flour with hand for a minute so all oil mix on it.
- Add water and mix well to make stiff dough. Knead dough until it makes smooth dough. Keep aside covered with kitchen cloth for 15-20 minutes to set the dough.
- After 20 minutes take the dough and little knead with soft hand. Divide this dough into 16 equal parts and make round balls.
- With the help of rolling board and rolling pin flatten these ball into a flat round, if require dust dry all purpose flour (मैदा). The flat round look like a puri/roti. Do it for all 16 round balls.
- Now take a semolina (सूजी) mix and divide it also into 16 portions.
- Take 1 flat round and place 1 portion of filling at the center of it, fold this flat round a half so one side meet other side. With the help of hand gently press edges and fold then to shape up gujiya. Do it for all flat rounds.
- In a deep pan heat enough oil to fry and deep fry each gujiya.
- For Sugar Coated Gujiya:
- If you like sugar coated gujiya then when all the gujiya are fried, make sugar syrup by cooking sugar (चीनी) and 1 cup water till not become one thread consistency.
- Now dip each gujiya into this sugar syrup for a minute and take out and let them dry in a plate.
- Let them cool and store in an air tight container for later use. You can store them 20-30 days.
- You can use gujiya maker to make gujiya, its easily available in market.
- You can also use fork to press the edges.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.