Bisi Bele Bhaat – बीसी बेले भात; is a rice and lentils dish and originated in Karnataka. This dish is rich in spices and these spices mix easily available in market, you can also use homemade blend fresh masala mix for this dish. This time I am sharing this dish with readymade masala mix. Dish from home made masala is some other time… 🙂
Thinking of trying this bisi bele bhaat south India famous dish, please share your words with us here in comment box. I love to hear words from my readers.
Bisi Bele BhaatCourse: Dinner, Lunch, MainCuisine: Indian
This Bisi Bele Bhaat is a rice and lentils dish from Karnataka region in India. Can have as main dish at lunch or dinner.
Rice (चावल) – 1 cup
Raw Peanuts (कच्ची मूंगफली) – ¼ cup
Pigeon Pea Lentils (तूर दाल) – ¾ cup
Bisi Bele Bhaat Masala – 3 tbsp.
Turmeric Powder (हल्दी) – ½ tsp.
Seedless Tamarind (इमली) – 1 tbsp.
Mustard (सरसों) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Asafoetida (हींग) – ¼ tsp.
Carrot (गाजर) – 1 medium
French Beans (फ्रेंच बीन्स) – 18-20
Peas (मटर) – ½ cup
Brinjal (बैंगन) – 4 small
Onion (प्याज) – 1 medium
Tomato (टमाटर) – 1 medium
Curry Leaves(करीपत्ते) – 15
Dry Coconut (सुखा नारियल) – 2 tbsp.
Cashew (काजू) Nuts – 15-20
Clarified Butter (घी) – 4 tbsp.
Water – 8 ½ cup
Rock Salt as per taste.
- In a half cup of warm water soak seedless tamarind (इमली). After that squeeze and extract the tamarind pulp. Keep aside.
- Dissolve bisi bele bhaat masala in 1 cup of water. Grate dry coconut (सुखा नारियल). Chop carrot (गाजर), french beans (फ्रेंच बीन्स), brinjal (बैंगन), onion (प्याज) and tomato (टमाटर). Keep aside.
- Wash and rinse rice (चावल) and raw peanuts (कच्ची मूंगफली), after that in 2 ½ cup of water soak them for 20-25 minutes.
- Now in a pressure cooker add these soaked rice (चावल) and raw peanuts (कच्ची मूंगफली) with salt as per taste and cook them. Keep aside.
- Wash and rinse pigeon pea lentils (तूर दाल). Now cook it in pressure cooker along with turmeric powder (हल्दी) and salt as per taste in 2 ½ cup of water.
- Once pigeon pea lentils (तूर दाल) cooked completely; mesh the pigeon pea lentils (तूर दाल). Keep aside.
- In a pan semi cook chopped carrot (गाजर), french beans (फ्रेंच बीन्स), brinjal (बैंगन), onion (प्याज), tomato (टमाटर), peas (मटर) with salt as per taste in 2 cup of water.
- Now in a deep pan add meshed pigeon pea lentils (तूर दाल), cooked rice (चावल) and raw peanuts (कच्ची मूंगफली); after that add cooked veggies along with its stock, add tamarind (इमली) pulp and 1 cup of water. Mix all things gently.
- Now add dissolved bisi bele bhaat masala in this mixture, dry grated coconut (सुखा नारियल) and salt if required. Mix well gently.
- Now cook this mixture without lid for 20-25 minutes or till the raw aroma of tamarind (इमली) goes away.
- In tadka pan heat ghee (घी) and add mustard (सरसों) seeds. Sauté till start crackling and add curry leaves (करी पत्ते), cashew (काजू) nuts, kapok buds (मराठी मोग्गु), dry red chilies (सूखी लाल मिर्च) and asafoetida (हींग). Sauté till cashew (काजू) nuts turns golden brown.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared bisi bele bhaat. Mix gently and cover the pan with lid for 5 minutes, so the tempering flavours infuse in the bisi bele bhaat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) and serve hot with potato or banana chips or fried papads; you can also serve it with curd and also have it as it is or with any appetizer. It your own way to eat it… 🙂
|Image courtesy of Devika.pujari via Wikimedia Commons|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.