Dahi Bhindi – दही भिन्डी; Always we eat Bhindi (Okra) in dry form; in my family from my childhood I am hearing one thing about Bhindi “don’t put tomato, they will spoil the dish only onion is okay”. When I heard about the name dahi bhindi, only the above sentence come on my mind; how it was made, is it tasty, are okra is fine in shape, it’s not become sticky? Lots of questions, but when finally I see it I am surprised and after tasting found in love of this form of okra dish. Then after that I am usually making it at my home.
You also once must try this recipe and share with us how you feel after making and tasting it. I love to hear my readers experience.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- Okra (भिंडी) - 250 grams
- Yogurt (दही) - 1 cup
- Onion (प्याज) - 1 large
- Tomato (टमाटर) - 2 medium
- Ginger (अदरक) - 1 inch
- Garlic (लहसुन) - 4-5 cloves
- Red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder - 1 tsp.
- Dry red chilli whole (सुखी लाल मिर्च) - 2
- Turmeric (हल्दी) powder - ½ tsp.
- Garam masala - 1 tsp.
- Dry mango powder (अमचूर) - ½ tsp.
- Dried fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी) - ½ tsp.
- Cashew nuts (काजू) - 10
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp.
- Asafoetida (हींग) - A pinch
- Cumin seeds (जीरा) - ½ tsp.
- Mustard seeds (सरसों) - ½ tsp.
- Black gram skinned (उड़द धूलि) - 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves (कढ़ी पत्ता) - 6-7
- Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
- Make ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste. Crush dried fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी). Keep aside.
- Wash, dry and cut okra (भिंडी) into ½ inch pieces. Keep aside.
- Make a smooth paste of cashew nuts (काजू) & grated coconut before soaking cashew nuts (काजू) into water for 10 minutes. If require as little water, but don’t make too liquid paste. Keep aside.
- Finely chop onion (प्याज) & tomato (टमाटर). Keep aside.
- Now in a pan heat 1 tbsp. Oil and sauté cut okra (भिंडी) until little brown. Take out from pan over plate. Keep aside.
- Again heat 1 tbsp. Oil in a pan; add asafoetida (हींग), cumin seeds (जीरा) & mustard seeds (सरसों). Sauté for a minute; immediately add black gram skinned (उड़द धूलि), curry leaves (कढ़ी पत्ता) & 2 piece broken dry red chilli (सुखी लाल मिर्च). Sauté till golden brown.
- After that add chopped onion (प्याज) and ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste. Sauté until row aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away and onion (प्याज) become translucent.
- Add red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder, turmeric (हल्दी) powder, garam masala & dry mango powder (अमचूर). Mix well.
- Add chopped tomato (टमाटर), mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes until oil separating from sides of spice mix.
- At this pint add cashew nuts (काजू) & coconut (नारियल) paste in this spice mix. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Slightly beat the yogurt (दही) and add it into spice mix with water and salt to taste. Cook simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add fried okra (भिंडी) on this mix. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes until okra (भिंडी) fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve hot with chapattis, paratha.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.