Dahi Bhindi – दही भिन्डी; Always we eat Bhindi (Okra) in dry form; in my family from my childhood I am hearing one thing about Bhindi “don’t put tomato, they will spoil the dish only onion is okay”. When I heard about the name dahi bhindi, only the above sentence come on my mind; how it was made, is it tasty, are okra is fine in shape, it’s not become sticky? Lots of questions, but when finally I see it I am surprised and after tasting found in love of this form of okra dish. Then after that I am usually making it at my home.
You also once must try this recipe and share with us how you feel after making and tasting it. I love to hear my readers experience.
For more such recipes subscribe or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
Dahi BhindiCourse: Dinner, Main, LunchCuisine: Indian
This okra curry dish called Dahi Bhindi is a delicious and flavorful dish. Can have as a main course dish at lunch or dinner.
Okra (भिंडी) – 250 grams
Curd (दही) – 1 cup
Onion (प्याज) – 1 large
Tomato (टमाटर) – 2 medium
Ginger (अदरक) – 1 inch
Garlic (लहसुन) – 4-5 cloves
Red Chilli (लाल मिर्च) Powder – 1 tsp.
Turmeric (हल्दी) Powder – 1/2 tsp.
Garam Masala (गरम मसाला) – 1 tsp.
Dry Mango Powder (अमचूर) – 1/2 tsp.
Dried Fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी) – 1/2 tsp.
Cashew Nuts (काजू) – 10
Grated Coconut(कसा हुआ नारियल) – 2 tbsp.
Asafoetida (हींग) – A pinch
Cumin Seeds (जीरा) – 1/2 tsp.
Mustard Seeds (सरसों) – 1/2 tsp.
Black Gram Skinned (उड़द धूलि) – 1 tsp.
Curry Leaves (कढ़ी पत्ता) – 6-7
Oil (तेल) – 2 tbsp.
Water (पानी) – 2 cups
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Make ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste. Crush dried fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी). Keep aside.
- Wash, dry and cut okra (भिंडी) into 1/2 inch pieces. Keep aside.
- Soaking cashew nuts (काजू) into water for 10 minutes; and then make a smooth paste of cashew nuts (काजू) and grated coconut. If require as little water, but don’t make too liquid paste. Keep aside.
- Finely chop onion (प्याज) and tomato (टमाटर). Keep aside.
- Now in a pan heat 1 tbsp. Oil and sauté cut okra (भिंडी) until little brown. Take out from pan over plate. Keep aside.
- Again heat 1 tbsp. Oil in a pan; add asafoetida (हींग), cumin seeds (जीरा) and mustard seeds (सरसों). Sauté for a minute; immediately add black gram skinned (उड़द धूलि), curry leaves (कढ़ी पत्ता) and 2 piece broken dry red chilli (सुखी लाल मिर्च). Sauté till golden brown.
- After that add chopped onion (प्याज) and ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste. Sauté until row aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away and onion (प्याज) become translucent.
- Add red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder, turmeric (हल्दी) powder, garam masala and dry mango powder (अमचूर). Mix well.
- Add chopped tomato (टमाटर), mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes until oil separating from sides of spice mix.
- At this point add cashew nuts (काजू) and coconut (नारियल) paste in this spice mix. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Slightly beat the curd (दही) and add it into spice mix with water and salt as per taste. Cook simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add fried okra (भिंडी) on this mix. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes until okra (भिंडी) fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve hot with chapattis, paratha.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.