Sabudana khichdi usually made in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat during fasting like navratries but now a days every Indian make it any time of year. As me and my family love it have in any time of day in morning breakfast or evening snack.
With the little experience anyone can make non-sticky Sabudana (sago or tapioca pearls) Khichdi. As I also not made my first Sabudana khichdi perfect non-sticky, but now I can make it. As I tries to make it more and more I learn to make perfect non sticky Sabudana Khichdi.
Here in this recipe I am sharing with you all my experience knowledge of making perfect non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi. Please try and share your experience here in be below in comment section. You can also ask any kind of question related to recipe, I love to answer them each personally.
Sabudana Khichdi is a traditional Indian fasting dish. This is enough to fill your stomach and give you a good amount of nutrition. You can make this not only for fasting but anytime.
Sabudana (साबुदाना)– 1 Cup
Potato (आलू) – 2 medium
Peanuts (मूंगफली)– 1/4 Cup
CurryLeaves (करी पत्ता) – 1 sprig
Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च) – 1
Green Coriander (हरा धनिया) – few sprigs (Optional)
Cumin Seeds (जीरा)– 1 tbsp.
Turmeric (हल्दी) Powder– 1 tbsp.
Lemon (निंबू) – 1/2
Ghee (घी)– 2 tbsp.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Wash the Sabudana (साबुदाना) by rubbing them with your hands.
- Now put it in a deep bowl with water and soak over night or 4-5 hours until soften.
- Next morning drain overnight soaked Sabudana (साबुदाना) well and keep aside.
- Wash, boil, peel and dice cut potatoes (आलू). Keep aside.
- Take out the juice from lemon (निंबू), it’s about 1 tbsp. Keep aside.
- Wash and finely chop Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च). Keep aside.
- Wash and finely chop Green Coriander (हरा धनिया). Keep aside.
- Wash the Curry Leaves (करी पत्ता). Keep aside.
- In a non-stick pan dry roast peanuts. Keep aside.
- In same pan heat ghee and add cumin seeds, when its start crackling add chopped Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च) and Curry Leaves (करी पत्ता). sauté for few seconds.
- Now add chopped potatoes (आलू), Turmeric (हल्दी) Powder and Salt to taste. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Put flame on low and add Sabudana (साबुदाना). Keep staring for 4-6 minutes and cook.
- When Sabudana (साबुदाना) become translucent, its cooked.
- Now add lemon juice (नींबू का रस). Mix well.
- Add roasted peanuts and chopped Green Coriander (हरा धनिया). Mix well.
- Switch off the flame and your Sabudana Khichdi is ready. Enjoy it.
- Don’t over soak Sabudana otherwise it’s get sticky.
- Don’t overcook Sabudana otherwise it’s become mushy.
- I used turmeric and normal salt in my recipe because not making it for fasting, but if you making it for fasting (उपवास) skip it and use Sendha Namak (powdered rock salt) to taste.
- Potato must be firm not mushy.
- Don’t use iron pan, with the overheat Sabudana khichdi goes sticky. I always use non-stick or aluminium.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not going to cost extra but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little commission and that amount will help in surviving this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these affiliate links.