Idli – इडली; is a traditional breakfast in South India, but it is now taken in almost all over India; very easy to make and also easily digest too. Idli is made up by steaming a fermented rice and skinned and split black gram batter. It is usually served with sāmbhar and coconut chutney.
Did you tried out this traditional Idli recipe??? Please share here, I love to hear words from my readers.
9 hrPrep Time
30 minCook Time
9 hr, 30 Total Time
- Rice (चावल) - 1 ½ cup
- Skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) - 1 cup
- Salt to taste.
- Wash and soak rice (चावल) & Skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) separately for 4-5 hours in water.
- Drain water from rice (चावल) & Skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल). Grind Skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) to a fine smooth paste, and the rice (चावल) a little coarse (enough to feel a texture, like fine sand).
- Mix the two grated ingredients with salt and enough water to form a batter of dropping consistency.
- Leave this batter in a warm place for overnight to ferment to a spongy batter.
- Garnish your idli steamer stand with oil and place this batter over it and steam idli’s.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sāmbhar.
|Image courtesy of Charles Haynes via flickr.com|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.