Masala Dosa – मसाला डोसा; traditional form of dosa, now there are many types of dosa like rava dosa, paneer dosa and many more. Dosa is a pan cake made up of fermented rice and skinned and split black gram; usually served with sāmbhar and coconut chutney. I love this masala dosa and always prefer to eat this form of dosa.
Try out this recipe and share your experience here in comment box.
For more such recipes subscribe or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
Masala DosaCourse: Dinner, Lunch, BreakfastCuisine: Indian
This Masala Dosa is an Indian savory pan cake made up of fermented rice and skinned and split black gram. Can have with sāmbhar and coconut chutney.
Rice (चावल) – 2 cups
Fenugreek(मेथी) Seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Potatoes (आलू) – 500 grams
Onions (प्याज़) – 3-4
Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च) – 3
Mustard(सरसों) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Curry Leaves (करी पत्ते) – 8-10
Turmeric(हल्दी) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Oil (तेल) – 3 tbsp.
Water (पानी) to make batter.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Wash and soak rice (चावल) in one container and skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) and fenugreek (मेथी) seeds in one container for overnight.
- Drain and grind skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) and fenugreek (मेथी) seeds to a fine smooth paste, and the rice (चावल) a little coarse (enough to feel a texture, like fine sand).
- Mix the two grated ingredients with salt and enough water to form a batter of dropping consistency.
- Leave this batter in a warm place for overnight to ferment to a spongy batter.
- Wash and boil potatoes (आलू). After boiling peel and mesh. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a thick pan and add a mustard (सरसों) seeds, sauté till start crackling.
- Add curry leaves (करी पत्ते), green chilli (हरी मिर्च) and onions (प्याज़). Sauté till onion (प्याज) translucent.
- Add salt and turmeric (हल्दी) powder. Sauté for a minute and add mashed potatoes (आलू), mix well and add 1/2 cup water. Cook for 2-3 minute. When fully cooked keep aside.
- Heat tawa and brush oil on it. When very hot, splash little water on it and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and trickle a little oil around the edges so that it soaks under the dosa.
- When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under dosa to ease the dosa off the pan. Put masala on the centre, and half fold it.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sāmbhar.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.