Masala Dosa – मसाला डोसा; traditional form of dosa, now there are many types of dosa like rava dosa, paneer dosa and many more. Dosa is a pan cake made up of fermented rice and skinned and split black gram; usually served with sāmbhar and coconut chutney. I love this masala dosa and always prefer to eat this form of dosa.
Try out this recipe and share your experience here in comment box.
Masala DosaCourse: Dinner, Lunch, BreakfastCuisine: Indian
Rice (चावल) – 2 cups
Fenugreek(मेथी) Seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Potatoes (आलू) – 500 grams
Onions (प्याज़) – 3-4
Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च) – 3
Mustard(सरसों) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Curry Leaves (करी पत्ते) – 8-10
Turmeric(हल्दी) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Oil (तेल) – 3 tbsp.
Water (पानी) to make batter.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Wash and soak rice (चावल) in one container and skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) and fenugreek (मेथी) seeds in one container for overnight.
- Drain and grind skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) and fenugreek (मेथी) seeds to a fine smooth paste, and the rice (चावल) a little coarse (enough to feel a texture, like fine sand).
- Mix the two grated ingredients with salt and enough water to form a batter of dropping consistency.
- Leave this batter in a warm place for overnight to ferment to a spongy batter.
- Wash and boil potatoes (आलू). After boiling peel and mesh. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a thick pan and add a mustard (सरसों) seeds, sauté till start crackling.
- Add curry leaves (करी पत्ते), green chilli (हरी मिर्च) and onions (प्याज़). Sauté till onion (प्याज) translucent.
- Add salt and turmeric (हल्दी) powder. Sauté for a minute and add mashed potatoes (आलू), mix well and add 1/2 cup water. Cook for 2-3 minute. When fully cooked keep aside.
- Heat tawa and brush oil on it. When very hot, splash little water on it and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and trickle a little oil around the edges so that it soaks under the dosa.
- When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under dosa to ease the dosa off the pan. Put masala on the centre, and half fold it.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sāmbhar.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.