Kathal Biryani – कटहल बिरयानी; fried raw jackfruit (कटहल) when pressure (दम) cooked with basmati rice and Indian spices, it gave very rich and unique taste. Kathal biryani not that much popular in world like other veg biryani due to its taste and texture. (As kathal gave you meat like taste.)
The biryani made by deep frying kathal pieces and put in dum with rice and spices.
Go and try out this recipe. If you love kathal dish then you must love this Kathal Biryani. Please share your experience here in comment box.
This Kathal Biryani is a modern twist of traditional Non-Veg Birgani for Vegetarian persons. Can have as a full meal with or without Curd.
Raw Jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) – 1/2 kg
Basmati Rice (चावल) – 1 1/2 cups
Clove (लौंग) – 3-4
Cinnamon (दालचीनी) – 21-1 inch
Cumin (जीरा) Seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Cumin (जीरा) Powder – 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric (हल्दी) Powder – 1 tsp.
Coriander (धनिया) Powder – 2 tsp.
Red Chilli (लाल मिर्च) Powder – 2 tsp.
Garam Masala (गरम मसाला) – 1 tsp.
Onion (प्याज) – 4 medium
Tomato(टमाटर) – 3 medium
Ginger (अदरक) – 1 inch
Garlic (लहसुन) – 4-5 cloves
Fresh Coriander Leaves (ताजा हरा धनिया) – 4-5 sprigs
Saffron (केसर) – 5-6 strands
Fresh Mint Leaves (ताजा पुदीने की पत्तियां) – 10-12
Kewra (केवड़ा) water – 1 tbsp.
Curd (दही) – 1 1/2 cups
Milk (दूध) – 2 tbsp.
Olive Oil (तेल) – to deep fry + 3 tbsp.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Wash and soak basmati rice (चावल) in water to 30-40 minutes. Make ginger (अदरक) and garlic (लहसुन) paste. Wisk curd (दही). Cut raw jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) into pieces. Slice the onion (प्याज). Chop tomato (टमाटर) and fresh coriander leaves (ताजा हरा धनिया). Hand crush fresh coriander leaves (ताजा हरा धनिया). Crush 1 inch cinnamon (दालचीनी). Dissolve saffron (केसर) lukewarm milk (दूध). Keep aside.
- Boil six cup of water and in this water parboil rice with 2-3 green cardamom (छोटी इलायची), 2-3 black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची), clove (लौंग), 1 inch. cinnamon (दालचीनी), bay leaf (तेज पत्ता) and salt as per taste. When rice parboiled, drain them and refresh them in with cold water; drain again. Keep aside.
- Now deep fry raw jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) pieces. Also deep-fry half of sliced onion (प्याज). Keep aside separately on tissue paper.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in pan, add cumin (जीरा) seeds, remaining green cardamom (छोटी इलायची), remaining black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची), crushed cinnamon (दालचीनी) and remaining onion (प्याज) slices. Sauté for a minute until onion become translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste, sauté till row aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away. After that add cumin (जीरा) powder, turmeric (हल्दी) powder, coriander (धनिया) powder, red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder and chopped tomato (टमाटर). Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add fried raw jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) pieces and mix well. After that add whisked curd (दही), chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा हरा धनिया) and salt as per taste.
- In a deep heavy base pan or pot arrange the layers like this; layer half of raw jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) pieces mixture, over it layer half of rice, over it sprinkle some garam masala, some saffron (केसर) milk (दूध), few drops of kewra (केवड़ा) water and some hand crush fresh coriander leaves (ताजा हरा धनिया). Repeat all this process once more and garnish with fried onion (प्याज).
- Cover it tightly so pressure will make proper. Now on low flame cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot as a main course.
- Raw jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) is hard to cut and when you cut it, it will reduce milky liquid which is very sticky. Take a big knife so you can cut it easily, but apply oil on your hand and knife; so the sticky milky liquid did not sticking to your hands.
- Dip raw jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) pieces in water before fry, so don’t get black and when frying put 1-1 as they are coated with water.
- For pressure you can use doughy flour (गुंधा हुआ आटा) and cover gap between bowl and lid. It will give you proper pressure.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.