Avial – अवियल; is an South Indian dish. It is a thick mixture of vegetable, coconut and curd. Some part of Kerala it has a curry version. My recipe is thick as mostly it was made.
In Wikipedia – avail is developed by Bhima (one of the Pandava brothers) during their exile. According to the legend, when Ballav (Bhima’s name during this time) assumed his duties as the cook in the kitchen of Virata, he did not know how to cook. One of the first things he did was to chop up many different vegetables, boil them together and top the dish with grated coconut. To read in detail visit Wikipedia avial page.
Did you make avail using this recipe, share your experience with us here in comment page?
For more such recipes subscribe or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
AvialCourse: Dinner, Lunch, MainCuisine: Indian
This Avial is a kind of vegetable stock dish, but its thick and rich in veggies and spices. Can have with rice or roti.
Curd Thick (गाढ़ा दही) – 1/2 cup
Carrot (गाजर) – 2
Potato (आलू) – 1
Beans (फलियां) – 4-5
Raw Banana (कच्चे केले) – 1
Drumstick (सहजन की फली) – 1
Turmeric (हल्दी) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Coconut Oil (नारियल का तेल) – 1tbsp.
Cumin Seeds (जीरा) – 1/2 tsp.
Fresh Coconut (ताजा नारियल) – 1/2
Green Chillies (हरी मिर्च) – 2
Fresh Curry Leaves (ताजे करी पत्ते) – Few sprigs
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- In a grinder jar add roughly chopped fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल) with green chillies (हरी मिर्च) and cumin seeds (जीरा). Make paste. Keep aside.
- Chop finely carrot (गाजर), potato (आलू), beans (फलियां), raw banana (कच्चे केले) and drumstick (सहजन की फली).
- Now heat coconut oil (नारियल का तेल) in a thick base pan and add all chopped veggies with little water, turmeric (हल्दी) powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Separately boil 1/2 cup of water and add it in above veggie mix. Cook on low flame until veggies turn softens.
- In another pan heat 1 tsp. coconut oil, add few fresh curry leaves (ताजे करी पत्ते) and semi cooked veggies. Stir well.
- Add coconut (नारियल) paste and mix well.
- Remove from fire and leave it as it is to cool.
- When cool to room temperature, add curd and mix gently.
- Garnish with roughly hand chopped fresh curry leaves (ताजे करी पत्ते) and grated fresh coconut.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.