Dum Aloo – दम आलू; is a north India’s one of famous dish. This is made up by cooking a potato in curd spices masala mix. I just love its texture and creamy taste, which come due to curd.
Are you thinking to try it out at your home and surprise your family??? Please share your words; I love to hear words from my readers.
This Dum Aloo is made up by cooking a potato in curd spices masala mix. Can have as main course meal with roti.
Potatoes (आलू) – 15 small
Onion (प्याज) – 1 large
Ginger (अदरक) – 1 inch
Garlic (लहसुन) – 4-5 cloves
Coriander (हरा धनिया) Leaves – 2 tbsp.
Asafoetida(हींग) – 1 pinch
Red Chilli(लाल मिर्च) Powder – 1 tsp.
Turmeric(हल्दी) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Coriander(धनिया) Seeds – 1 tbsp.
Cumin (जीरा) Seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Green Cardamom (हरी इलायची) – 1 pod (फली)
Cinnamon(दालचीनी) – 1 small
Dried Fenugreek Leaves (कसूरीमेथी) – 1/2 tbsp.
Cloves(लौंग) – 1
Sugar (चीनी) – 1 tsp.
Cashew Nuts (काजू) – 8-10
Thick Curd (दही) – 3/4 cup
Oil (तेल) – 5 tbsp.
Water (पानी) – 3/4 cup
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Make a paste of ginger (अदरक) and garlic (लहसुन). Chop onions (प्याज) and coriander (हरा धनिया) leaves. Keep aside.
- Boil potatoes (आलू) in salted water. Drain water, peel and prick them with a fork.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp. oil, add potatoes (आलू) and shallow fry them over medium heat until they turn light brown. Drain excess oil and place in a plate.
- In a pan roast coriander (धनिया) seeds, cumin (जीरा) seeds, green cardamom (हरी इलायची) pod, cinnamon (दालचीनी), cloves (लौंग) and cashew nuts (काजू) on a medium heat until aromatised. Now let them cool and grind all of them in a grinder to a semi fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a deep sauce pan; add a pinch of Asafoetida (हींग) and sauté for 8-10 seconds. Then add Bay leaf (तेज पत्ता) and chopped onions (प्याज), sauté till onion (प्याज) translucent. Add ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste and sauté till raw aroma goes away.
- Add masala powder which we make above. Sauté for a minute.
- Beat curd (दही) and slowly add it into the pan. Add turmeric (हल्दी) powder and red chili (लाल मिर्च) powder and mix well. Sauté till oil separates from sides.
- Add shallow fried potatoes (आलू), dried fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी), Sugar (चीनी) and salt as per taste, cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring it to boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander (हरा धनिया) leaves and serve hot with naan or chapattis.
|Image courtesy of Vivekprasad97 at Wikimedia Commons|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.