As I previously added a recipe of Lemon Chitranna Rice, this Masala Chitranna Rice is another variety of Karnataka’s famous rice recipe Chitranna Rice. If you are found of rice then you must love this traditional rice recipe; made by mixing cooked rice with fresh roasted and grinded spices. As Masala Chitranna Rice are little complex then Lemon Chitranna Rice because of spices but its boost then taste and you must love this way of rice.
I must say once must you try and please share your experience; I love to hear from my readers. Your comments appreciate me to publish more and more recipes.
Masala Chitranna RiceCourse: Breakfast, Veg FoodCuisine: Indian
This traditional South Indian Karnataka famous Masala Chitranna Rice made by mixing cooked rice with fresh roasted & grinded spices. Perfect for any time meal.
Rice (चावल) – 1 cup
Peanuts (मूँगफली) – 1 small bowl
Jaggery (गुड़) – Marble size
Tamarind (इमली) – Marble size
Turmeric (हल्दी) powder – 1/2 tbsp.
Split black gram lentils (धूलि उड़द दाल) – 2 1/2 tsp.
Split chickpea lentils (चने की दाल) – 2 tsp.
Coriander (धनिया) seeds – 1 tsp.
Fenugreek (मेथी) seeds – 1/4 tsp.
Cumin (जीरा) seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Black sesame (काले तिल) seeds – 3 tsp.
Mustard (सरसों) seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Fresh curry leaves (करी पत्ता) – 5-6
Oil (तेल) – 5 tsp.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Wash and cook rice (चावल) as you normally cook. Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind (इमली) in 1/2 cup of water for 10-15 minutes; squeeze and remove all residual, we require only tamarind (इमली) water.
- In a hot pan dry roast Black sesame (काले तिल) seeds until they are spluttering. Remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Now in pan heat oil, add 2 tsp. split black gram lentils (उड़द दाल), 2 tsp. split chickpea lentils (चने की दाल), 1 tsp. coriander (धनिया) seeds, 1/4 tsp. fenugreek (मेथी) seeds, 1/2 tsp. cumin (जीरा) seeds and red chillies (लाल मिर्च). Roast them until both lentils turn little brown. Sift them in a plate and let them cool to room temperature.
- Now with the help of grinder, make a fine powder of these roasted spices. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat 3 tsp. oil; add 1/2 tsp. Split black gram lentils (उड़द दाल), 1/2 tsp. mustard (सरसों) seeds and 5-6 fresh curry leaves (करी पत्ता). Sauté for 1 minute and add peanuts (मूँगफली); sauté for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Add tamarind (इमली) water, jaggery (गुड़), 1/2 tsp. turmeric (हल्दी) powder and salt to taste. Cook over medium heat.
- When tamarind (इमली) water starts boiling and jaggery (गुड़) melts completely add spices powder which we made above. Cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat to make a paste. Keep straining.
- Turn of the flame and add cooked rice. Mix well gently to fully cover rice with masala.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander (धनिया) and serve hot.
- You can also use leftover cooked rice to make Masala Chitranna Rice.
- You can mix rice and masala with your hand as well with spatula but mail sure they are mix gently, don’t mesh them.
- You can preserve cooked masala for 1-2 days.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.