Gujarat’s are found of snacks and breakfast dishes; also they have a big list on them. Khandvi – खांडवी; is one of them. Making a good khandvi is an art, you only become perfect when you try and try and try making it, but it’s not that much hard to make; everyone can make it with practice.
I love its texture and taste both; when I put it my mouth it feels like melted and it’s so yummy….
Must tryout this khandvi recipe by your own, when it become perfect gave you really a great feeling.
Thinking of trying, tell us in how much try you got perfect one?
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- Gram Flour (बेसन/चने का आटा) - ½ cup
- Ginger (अदरक) - 1 inch
- Green Chilli (हरी मिर्च) - 3-4
- Curry leaves (करी पत्ते) - 4-5
- Coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) - 2 tbsp.
- Fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल) - ¼
- Red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder - ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida (हींग) - ⅛ tsp.
- Turmeric (हल्दी) - ⅛ tsp.
- Mustard seeds (सरसों) - ½ tsp.
- Dry red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च) - 2
- Curd (दही) - ½ cup
- Water - 1 ½ cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Make ginger (अदरक) and green chilli (हरी मिर्च) paste. Chop coriander leaves (हरा धनिया). Grate fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल). Keep aside.
- In a deep pan pour gram flour (बेसन/चने का आटा); add ginger-green chilli (अदरक-हरी मिर्च) paste, red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder, asafoetida (हींग), turmeric (हल्दी) and salt to taste; mix well.
- Now add curd (दही), little-little at a time, so that no lumps make and become smooth batter; and then add water.
- Place pan over a high heat and bring it boil; keep stirring often, so that the mixture don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Keep cooking till batter not thick enough.
- To test batter cooked enough, spread a tsp. of the batter on to an ungreased surface; let cool it and it should come off clean. Otherwise it’s thin and cooks more until become good batter.
- With the help of a rubber spatula spread the mixture onto an ungreased surface, in as thin a layer as possible and leave to cool.
- In between, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds (सरसों), curry leaves (करी पत्ते) and dry red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च). Sauté till mustard seeds (सरसों) seeds start crackling. Now spared it over cool layer of batter. Also sprinkle chopped coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) and grated fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल) over it, but remain some for garnish too; take dry red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च) out of it and keep it aside.
- Cut this layer into thick strips and roll up each strip like a scroll without breaking them.
- Place them in a serving plate and garnish with dry red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च), which you keep aside; left chopped coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) and grated fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल). Serve cool in room temperature.
|Image courtesy of Kirti Poddar via flickr.com|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.