I think no South Indian meal is complete without Sāmbhar (सांभर). Very easy to make, no tuff cooking, no such a particular ingredient requires. You can make it with any such number of veggies but if want traditional Sāmbhar then you need to follow the recipe or make it in their style.
Thinking of making Sāmbhar with this recipe, please share your experience here in comment box.
For more such recipes subscribe or follow on Facebook and Twitter.
SāmbharCourse: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, MainCuisine: Indian, South Indian
This Sāmbhar is a backbone of every South Indian Dish; basically a Pigeon Peas and veggies soup with Indian spices. Can have with Dosa, Idli etc.
Pigeon Peas (तुअर दाल) – 1 cup
Bengal Gram (चना दाल) – 2 tbsp.
Yellow Lentils (अरहर दाल) – 1 tbsp.
Rice (चावल) – 1 tbsp.
Coriander(धनिया) Seeds – 2 tbsp.
Mustard Seeds (सरसों) – 2 tsp.
Black Pepper(साबुत काली मिर्च) – 1 tsp.
Cumin (जीरा) Seeds – 2 tsp.
Fenugreek(मेथी) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Asafoetida(हींग) – 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric(हल्दी) – 1 tsp.
Pumpkin (कद्दू) – 1 small piece
French Beans (हरी फलियां) – 3-4
Potatoes (आलू) – 1-2 small
Brinjal (बैंगन) – 1 small
Carrot (गाजर) – 1
Onions (प्याज़) – 1 large
Tomatoes (टमाटर) – 1-2
Green Curry Leaves (हरा करी पत्ते) – 2-3
Sugar (चीनी) – 1 tsp.
Coriander Leaves (हरा धनिया) – 1 bunch
Fresh Coconut (ताजा नारियल) – 1 tbsp.
Tamarind(इमली) – 3-4
Water (पानी) as much required.
Oil (तेल) – 4 tbsp.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Roast Bengal gram (चना दाल), husked split black gram (धूलि उड़द की दाल), yellow lentils (अरहर दाल), rice (चावल), coriander (धनिया) seeds, 1 tsp. mustard seeds (सरसों), peppercorns (साबुत काली मिर्च), cumin (जीरा) seeds, fenugreek (मेथी) seeds, asafoetida (हींग), dry curry leaves (सूखा करी पत्ते) and dry red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च). Cool and grind in grinder to a powder. Mix well with turmeric (हल्दी). Keep Sāmbhar masala aside.
- Cut pumpkin (कद्दू), french beans (हरी फलियां), potatoes (आलू), brinjal (बैंगन), carrot (गाजर), onions (प्याज़) and tomatoes (टमाटर). Keep vegetables aside.
- Soak tamarind (इमली) in water for 10 minute and reduce is juice by mish- mash process. Strain this water. Repeat this process twice. Keep this tamarind (इमली) water aside.
- Cook pigeon peas (तुअर दाल) with salt in a pressure cooker and mesh it.
- Now add Sāmbhar masala, sugar (चीनी) and vegetable; including onions (प्याज़) and tomatoes (टमाटर). Cook till the vegetables are tender. Now add tamarind (इमली) water.
- In other pan heat oil; add 1 tsp. mustard seeds (सरसों), when start crackling add green curry leaves (हरा करी पत्ते). Turn this pan around 2-3 times and pour this into pigeon peas (तुअर दाल) mixture. Bring it to boil and then cook it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) and grated fresh coconut (ताजा नारियल). Serve hot with rice, idli, dosa or vada.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.