Onion Missi Roti
Missi Roti is a traditional Punjabi breakfast Indian bread. It can be prepared by mixing wheat flour and/or gram flour; also it contains onion, methi, palak or grated veggies. It’s usually made in north Indian Punjabi families and served with curd, pickle, dal, mix veg, methi aloo, aloo sabji and many more. It’s depend on you what to add on missi roti and whom with it serve, all depends on your taste and what available at your kitchen?
Some Punjabi families made it by adding only onion or some add fresh methi leaves. Some also make it by adding already cooked dal – as I already said “all depends on your taste and what available at your kitchen”.
I am not usually found of missi roti but love to have onion missi roti. So, today’s recipe is “Onion Missi Roti”. Some other kind of missi roti’s recipes I will share in future; till then enjoy this onion Missi Roti or some other kind of parathas like Dal Thepla, Puran Poli.
Please share your experience here in comment box; I love to hear from my readers.
Onion Missi RotiCourse: Breakfast, Veg FoodCuisine: Indian
This traditional Punjabi breakfast Onion Missi Roti perfect to start your day and have you full for long.
Wheat flour (गेहूं का आटा) – 2 cups
Gram flour (बेसन) – 1 cup
Cumin Seeds (जीरा) – 1 tsp.
Asafoetida (हींग) – a pinch
Green chilli (हरी मिर्च) – 1-2
Onion (प्याज) – 2-3 medium
Fresh coriander (हरा धनिया) – few sprigs
Water (पानी) for making dough.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Finely chop green chilli (हरी मिर्च), onion (प्याज) and fresh coriander (हरा धनिया). Keep aside.
- In a bowl mix wheat flour (गेहूं का आटा), gram flour (बेसन), cumin seeds (जीरा), asafoetida (हींग) and salt to taste.
- After that add chopped green chilli (हरी मिर्च), onion (प्याज), fresh coriander (हरा धनिया) and 1 tbsp. oil. Mix well.
- And water and with the help of your hand kneads the dough. If require add more water and make smooth dough.
- Cover with kitchen cloth and keep it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes divide dough into equal parts and make small balls.
- Take one ball into your hand and press with your palm. Do it for each ball.
- Now with the help of rolling board and pin roll these flat balls.
- Heat your tawa, dazzle some oil/ghee put one flat roti and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn it and apply oil/ghee. Turn again and apply oil/ghee on other side.
- Now cook both sides one by one flipping till its turn little golden brown and sides become little crispy.
- Repeat 9-11 steps for all flat roti.
- Your onion missi roti ready. Serve hot with curd, pickle, dal or any vegetable dish of your type.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.