Puran Poli (पूरन पोली) is a flat sweet indian bread; it’s also called Vedmi, holige, obbattu, poli, puranachi poli, god poli, pappu bhakshalu, and bobbatlu. Traditionally it’s made up with jaggery (गुड़) & Split Bengal gram (चना दाल) with other ingredients, you can also use sugar & Pigeon Pea (तूवर/अरहर दाल); but with jaggery (गुड़) & Split Bengal gram (चना दाल) it become more tasty.
What are you waiting, go and make it. Please also share your experience or give suggestions, I love to hear from my readers.
Puran PoliCourse: Bread, BreakfastCuisine: Indian
Puran Poli is a flat sweet Indian bread made up with jaggery and Split Bengal gram. Can have as breakfast; kids will love it.
Refined Flour (मैदा) – 1 1/4 cups
Jaggery (गुड़) – 1 1/2 cups
Clarified Butter (घी) – 1/2 cup
Saffron (केसर) – Few strands
Green Cardamom (छोटी इलायची) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Nutmeg (जायफल) Powder – A pinch
Water (पानी) as much required.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Soak split Bengal gram (चना दाल) or pigeon pea (तूवर/अरहर दाल) in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minute drain excess water and presser cooker it for 3 whistles with 1 1/2 cup water on low flame. Once 3 whistles over turnoff the gas and let the pressure comes down naturally without removing the lid. Remove excess water if any and gently mesh the boiled split bengal gram (चना दाल) or pigeon pea (तूवर/अरहर दाल).
- Now in a heavy base pan add messed split bengal gram (चना दाल) or pigeon pea (तूवर/अरहर दाल), jaggery (गुड़) and clarified butter (घी). Mix well and cook for 15-20 minutes or mixture thicken enough for dough filling.
- After that add saffron (केसर), green cardamom (छोटी इलायची) powder and nutmeg (जायफल) powder. Mix well. You puran mixer is ready for stuffing. Keep it aside.
- Knead the refined flour (मैदा) with 1 tbsp. melted clarified butter (घी), salt as per taste and water as much require (just like you make dough for roti or paratha).
- Now heat the tawa. Divide dough and puran mixture into 4 equal portions; roll each part in-between your palm to make ball, after that flatten the ball with you hand.
- Place 1 flatten ball into rolling board and roll the flatten ball with rolling pin to make flat round circle. If require sprinkle some dry wheat flour (आटा) over it. Do it with each flatten ball.
- Take 1 flat round circle called raw roti and 1 portion of puran mixture; place it in the center of raw roti. Wrap puran mixture with all sides of raw roti and seal top where all sides merge. Pinch off excess dough and give it a round shape of ball and flatten the ball with you hand.
- Again, place 1 stuffed flatten ball into rolling board and roll the stuffed flatten ball with rolling pin to make thick flat round circle. If require sprinkle some dry wheat flour (आटा) over it. Do it with each stuffed flatten ball.
- Once tawa heated properly, put one raw puran poli on this hot tawa. Cook it until golden brown spots appear on bottom side and cook other side until brown spots appear there as well.
- Transfer puran poli from tawa into plate and spread clarified butter (घी) over puran poli both side.
- Serve hot with curd or chutney or some pickle; as you like.
|Image courtesy of GaneshDatta via Wikimedia Commons|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.