Whenever me or my mom make this chana masala or said chole masala; made up with Indian spices and chickpeas (काबुली चना); it’s always become yummy. I love it with puri. Here in North India ever family use to make this chana masala and also most of the times in Indian function or small get to gather.
This recipe not require very rear spices, just made up by using normal spices; which are easily available in every Indian kitchen or in any grocery store. Tried and tested recipe.
What you feel, is it become yummy and easy to cook??? Please share your thoughts with me, I love to hear them.
Chickpeas (काबुली चना) – 1 cup
Gooseberry (सूखे आंवले) – 2-3
Onion (प्याज) – 2 medium
Tomato (टमाटर) – 2 medium
Lemon (नींबू) – 1
Coriander Leaves (हरा धनिया) – 2 tbsp.
Garlic (लहसुन) – 2-3 cloves
Ginger (अदरक) – 1 inch
Green Chilies (हरी मिर्च) – 2-3
Red Chilli (लाल मिर्च) Powder – 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric (हल्दी) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Garam Masala (गरम मसाला) Powder – 1/4 tsp.
Cinnamon (दालचीनी) – 1 inch
Cloves (लौंग) – 2
Bay leaves (तेज पत्ता) – 1 medium
Carom Seeds (अजवाइन) – 1/4 tsp.
Cumin (जीरा) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Coriander (धनिया) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Fennel Seeds (सौंफ) – 1 tsp.
Dry Pomegranate Seeds (अनारदाना) – 1/2 tsp.
Oil (तेल) – 2 tbsp.
Water (पानी) to boil chickpeas.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Take chickpeas (काबुली चना); wash them thoroughly and soak in water overnight.
- In a pressure cooker add overnight soaked chickpeas (काबुली चना) with Bharatiya gooseberry (सूखे आंवले) and a pinch of salt; add water. Pressure cook for 18 to 20 whistles or the chickpeas (काबुली चना) fully cooked. When pressure goes down separate the chickpeas (काबुली चना) and stock; and remove Bharatiya gooseberry (सूखे आंवले) from the stock. Keep aside.
- On a low heat roast black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची), cinnamon (दालचीनी), peppercorns (साबुत काली मिर्च), cloves (लौंग), bay leaves (तेज पत्ता), carom seeds (अजवाइन), cumin (जीरा) seeds, coriander (धनिया) seeds, fennel seeds (सौंफ), dry pomegranate seeds (अनारदाना) and dry red chilli (लाल मिर्च). After then grind them and keep aside.
- Make ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste of 3 garlic (लहसुन) cloves and 1/2 inch ginger (अदरक). Keep aside.
- Chop coriander leaves (हरा धनिया), onion (प्याज) and tomato (टमाटर). Julienne 1/2 inch ginger (अदरक). Slit green chilies (हरी मिर्च). Slice lemon. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add ginger-garlic (अदरक-लहसुन) paste and sauté till their raw aroma goes away. Now add half of chopped onion (प्याज) and sauté till light brown. Add chopped tomato (टमाटर) and sauté till the oil starts leave the sides of the masala.
- Now add above grind masala with dry red chilli (लाल मिर्च), red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder and turmeric (हल्दी) powder. Mix well and add slit green chilies (हरी मिर्च).
- After that add cooked stock separate chickpeas (काबुली चना). Mix well and add salt as per taste; also add 1 cup of stock in which the chickpeas (काबुली चना) was boiled. Mix and cook cover on simmer until gravy thicker enough.
- Garnish Chana Masala with reaming chopped onion (प्याज), tomato (टमाटर), coriander leaves (हरा धनिया), sliced lemon and julienne ginger (अदरक). Serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.