Lemon Chitranna Rice
Chitranna Rice (चित्राणा राइस) is a famous South Indian rice dish; especially in Karnataka. When cooked rice mix in a seasoning called Oggarane or Gojju chitranna rice are made. Gojju is gravy made-up with mustard seeds, fried lentils, peanuts, curry leaves, garlic, chillies, onions; sometime people also add tomato, lemon juice or scrapes of unripe mango. This is the one form of chitranna rice; another form is made by using powdered spices.
Today recipe is lemon chitranna rice, other chitranna rice are later in future.
This recipe is on demand of one of my reader; I am happy that people love my recipes and appreciate my work by asking more and more recipes. Thanks to my lovely readers.
Please try this traditional Karnataka breakfast recipe and share your experience here in comment box.
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- Rice (चावल) - 1 ½ cup
- Lemon (नींबू) - ½
- Mustard (सरसों) seeds - 1 tsp.
- Cumin (जीरा) seeds - 1 tsp.
- Skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) - 1 tsp.
- Green chilli (हरी मिर्च) - 1
- Dried red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च) - 1
- Asafoetida (हींग) - a pinch.
- Curry leaves (करी पत्ते) - 5-10
- Turmeric (हल्दी) powder - ½ tsp.
- Cashews (काजू) - 10-15
- Peanuts (मूँगफली) - ½ cup
- Fresh coriander (ताजा धनिया) - few sprigs
- Oil - 5 tbsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Wash, rinse and cook rice as regularly you cook. When rise cooked, spread cooked rice on a plate with the help of fork to cool.
- Finely chop green chilli (हरी मिर्च), curry leaves (करी पत्ते) and fresh coriander (ताजा धनिया). Keep aside.
- In a pan heat 5 tbsp. oil and roast peanuts (मूँगफली) till golden brown and crispy. Take in a plate and keep aside.
- Now in same oil roast cashews (काजू) until little brown and crisp. Take on another plate and keep aside.
- Now in same oil add mustard (सरसों) seeds, cumin (जीरा) seeds and skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल). Sauté for a minute and add dried red chilli (सूखी लाल मिर्च), chopped green chilli (हरी मिर्च), curry leaves (करी पत्ते). Sauté for a minute.
- Now add asafoetida (हींग), Turmeric (हल्दी) powder and roasted peanuts (मूँगफली). Sauté for a minute and remove from the flame.
- Immediately add room temperature cooked rice and squeeze the lemon. Mix well, cover and set aside for 5-6 minutes.
- Your lemon chitranna rice is ready, garnish with chopped coriander and roasted cashews (काजू). Serve.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.