Upmaa – उपमा; is a famous South Indian dish. In some areas it’s called Uppuma or Uppittu also. It is made up by dry roasted rava (सूजी) or coarse rice (चावल). This recipe is made up by using rava (सूजी), coarse rice (चावल) upmaa is some other time when I learned to make it… 😛
Try out this rava upmaa at your home and share your experience here in comment box.
UpmaaCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Indian
This South Indian famous Upmaa is made up by dry roasted rava (सूजी) or coarse rice (चावल). Can have as a breakfast to kick start your day.
Rava/Semolina (सूजी) – ¾ cup
Bengal Gram Spilt (चना दाल) – 1 tsp.
Black Gram Skinned (धूलि उरद) – 1 tsp.
Curry Leaves (करी पत्ते) – 1-2 sprigs (टहनियाँ)
Coriander (हरा धनिया) leaves – 2 tbsp.
Ginger (अदरक) – 1 inch
Green Chili (हरी मिर्च) – 2
Onion (प्याज) – 1 medium
Tomatoes (टमाटर) – 1 large
Carrot (गाजर) – 1 small
Green Peas (मटर) – 2 tbsp.
Capsicum (शिमला मिर्च) – 3 tbsp.
Lemon Juice (नींबू का रस) – 1 tsp.
Mustard (सरसों) Seeds – ¼ tsp.
Asafoetida (हींग) – 1 pinch
Cashew Nuts (काजू) – 5-6
Oil – 2 tbsp.
Ghee (घी) – 1 tbsp.
Hot Water (गर्म पानी) – 2 ¼ cups
Salt as per taste.
- Chop onion (प्याज), green chili (हरी मिर्च), carrot (गाजर), capsicum (शिमला मिर्च), tomatoes (टमाटर) and coriander (हरा धनिया) leaves. Grate ginger (अदरक) and fry cashew nuts (काजू). Keep aside all things separately.
- Heat ghee (घी) in a heavy base pan and add rava (सूजी) on it. Roast it with continue stirring until turns little brown. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add mustard (सरसों) seeds, when they start crackling add bengal gram spilt (चना दाल), black gram skinned (धूलि उरद), curry leaves (करी पत्ते) and asafoetida (हींग). Cook until lentils (दाल) turn little brown.
- Now add chopped onion (प्याज), green chili (हरी मिर्च) and grated ginger (अदरक); sauté till onion (प्याज) translucent.
- After that add chopped carrot (गाजर), capsicum (शिमला मिर्च), tomatoes (टमाटर), Green peas (मटर) and salt as per taste. Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add hot water and cook for more 2 minutes.
- Add roasted rava (सूजी) over this mixture and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes to avoid lumps.
- Cook cover on low heat until mixture turns thicker. Keep stirring often, so that the rava (सूजी) don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and remove cover and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Add fried cashew nuts (काजू) and chopped coriander (हरा धनिया) leaves; mix well and sever hot.
- Roast rava (सूजी) properly over low flame until turns light brown otherwise it will turn sticky after cooking.
- You can also use steamed vegetables for healthy cooking.
|Image courtesy of Priya1Iyer via Wikimedia Commons|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.