Masala Dosa – मसाला डोसा; traditional for of dosa, now there are many types of dosa like rava dosa, paneer dosa and many more. Dosa is a pan cake made up of fermented rice and skinned and split black gram; usually served with sāmbhar and coconut chutney. I love this masala dosa and always prefer to eat this form of dosa.
Try out this recipe and share your experience here in comment box.
9 hrPrep Time
30 minCook Time
9 hr, 30 Total Time
- Rice (चावल) - 2cups
- Skinnedand split black gram (धूलिउड़द दाल) - ½ cup
- Fenugreek(मेथी) seeds - ½tsp.
- Potatoes (आलू) - 500grams
- Onions (प्याज़) - 3-4
- Green chilli (हरी मिर्च) - 3
- Mustard(सरसों) seeds - 1tsp.
- Curry leaves (करीपत्ते) - 8-10
- Turmeric(हल्दी) powder - ¼tsp.
- Oil - 3tbsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Wash and soak rice (चावल) in one container and skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) & fenugreek (मेथी) seeds in one container for overnight.
- Drain and grind skinned and split black gram (धूलि उड़द दाल) & fenugreek (मेथी) seeds to a fine smooth paste, and the rice (चावल) a little coarse (enough to feel a texture, like fine sand).
- Mix the two grated ingredients with salt and enough water to form a batter of dropping consistency.
- Leave this batter in a warm place for overnight to ferment to a spongy batter.
- Wash and boil potatoes (आलू). After boiling peel and mesh. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a thick pan and add a mustard (सरसों) seeds, sauté till start crackling.
- Add curry leaves (करी पत्ते), green chilli (हरी मिर्च) and onions (प्याज़). Sauté till onion (प्याज) translucent.
- Add salt and turmeric (हल्दी) powder. Sauté for a minute and add mashed potatoes (आलू), mix well and add ½ cup water. Cook for 2-3 minute. When fully cooked keep aside.
- Heat tawa and brush oil on it. When very hot, splash little water on it and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and trickle a little oil around the edges so that it soaks under the dosa.
- When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under dosa to ease the dosa off the pan. Put masala on the centre, and half fold it.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sāmbhar.
|Image courtesy of smarnad via FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.