Samosa is a very good snack for little hunger here in India; very easily available and also you can make it at home also. It is also very popular snack sold at road side vendors and also a part of tea parties. It is served with green hot & sour chutney and/or red sweet & sour chutney; some time people love to have it with chole (chicken peas with gravy). I like my samosa with green hot & sour chutney!!! How you want?
Why don’t you try making samosa at home? Please share your experience of making samosa with my recipe here below in comment box.
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- All purpose flour (मैदा) - 1 cups
- Carom (अजवाइन) Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ghee (घी) - 3-4 tbsp.
- Water for making dough.
- Salt (नमक) a pinch.
- Potatoes (आलू) - 5-6 large
- Fennel (सौंफ़) Seeds - 2 tsp.
- Coriander (धनिया) Seeds - 2 tsp.
- Cumin (जीरा) Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ginger (अदरक) paste - 1 tsp.
- Garlic (लहसुन) paste - 1 tsp.
- Green chillies (हरी मिर्च) - 1 tsp.
- Red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder - 2 tsp.
- Turmeric (हल्दी) powder - ¾ tsp.
- Ghee (घी) - 1 tbsp.
- Salt (नमक) a pinch.
- Oil (तेल) for deep fry.
- In dough making bowl add all purpose flour (मैदा) and ghee (घी) and pinch of salt. Rub this mixture with hands till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Now add water and make the dough. Make this dough like roti dough; not too much soft not too much hard; it should be firm and smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set aside for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Wash potatoes (आलू) and boil them. Keep aside.
- When cool enough to handle peel and cut in big pieces. Keep aside.
- Take fennel (सौंफ़) seeds, coriander (धनिया) seeds and cumin (जीरा) seeds in pan and roast them for a minutes.
- Take out them into mortar and roughly crush with pestle. Keep aside.
- Finely chop green chillies (हरी मिर्च). Keep aside.
- Now in pan heat ghee (घी) and simmer the heat; add ginger - garlic (अदरक - लहसुन) paste and sauté till row aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away.
- Add chopped green chillies (हरी मिर्च). Mix well.
- Now, add red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder, turmeric (हल्दी) powder. Mix well.
- After this add boiled cut potatoes (आलू) and salt (नमक) to taste. Roughly mesh with the help spatula and mix well and cook cover for 1 minute on simmer.
- After 1 minute remove the cover and add roasted roughly crushed seeds mix which we make earlier. Mix well.
- Now, cook them over high heat for next 1-2 minutes until mixture starts sticking at the bottom of the pan; staring in-between. Make sure mixture do not burn, just little stick on bottom to get little golden color.
- Take of the heat and keep this mixture aside to cool it completely to room temperature.
- Now it’s a time to make samosa wrapping; take dough knead once more and make equal size small ball from this dough – usually from 1 cup all purpose flour (मैदा) dough makes 8-10 balls.
- With the help of rolling pin and board make flat rounds (just like puri).
- With the help of knife half cut each flat round to make semicircle.
- Pick up one half and brush it with a little water along the straight edge of the wrap.
- Take one edge of the straight side, and place it on the other edge of the straight side to make a cone shape. Little press the corner of the cone to seal it.
- In this cone now add the stuffing; I usually add 1 ½ tbsp and it fill my ¾th space in a cone. Not go up to this.
- Now brush the inner side of unfilled wrapper area with water and seal it by pressing the edges together.
- Place this samosa in graced tray and make sure they do not touch each other; also cover with damp cloth.
- Repeat steps 19 to 23 for all wraps.
- Once all row samosa’s ready deep fry them into a hot oil.
- Serve hot with chutney and tea/coffee in the evening or in any small get to gather.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not going to cost extra but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little commission and that amount will help in surviving this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these affiliate links.