Samosa is a very good snack for little hunger here in India; very easily available and also you can make it at home also. It is also very popular snack sold at road side vendors and also a part of tea parties. It is served with green hot & sour chutney and/or red sweet & sour chutney; some time people love to have it with chole (chicken peas with gravy). I like my samosa with green hot & sour chutney!!! How you want?
Why don’t you try making samosa at home? Please share your experience of making samosa with my recipe here below in comment box.
SamosaCourse: Snacks, Veg FoodCuisine: Indian
Samosa is a very good snack for little hunger here in India; very easily available and also you can make it at home also.
- Ingredients For Dough:
All purpose flour (मैदा) – 1 cups
Ghee (घी) – 3-4 tbsp.
Water (पानी) for making dough.
Salt (नमक)a pinch.
- Ingredients For Feeling:
Potatoes (आलू) – 5-6 large
Fennel (सौंफ़) Seeds – 2 tsp.
Coriander (धनिया) Seeds – 2 tsp.
Cumin (जीरा) Seeds – 1 tsp.
Ginger (अदरक) paste – 1 tsp.
Garlic (लहसुन) paste – 1 tsp.
Green chillies (हरी मिर्च) – 1 tsp.
Red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder – 2 tsp.
Turmeric (हल्दी) powder – 3/4 tsp.
Ghee (घी) – 1 tbsp.
Salt (नमक)a pinch.
- Ingredients For Frying:
Oil (तेल)for deep fry.
- Method For Dough:
- In dough making bowl add all purpose flour (मैदा), carom seeds (अजवाइन) and ghee (घी) and pinch of salt. Rub this mixture with hands till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Now add water (पानी) and make the dough. Make this dough like roti dough; not too much soft not too much hard; it should be firm and smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set aside for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Method For Feeling:
- Wash potatoes (आलू) and boil them. Keep aside.
- When cool enough to handle peel and cut in big pieces. Keep aside.
- Take fennel (सौंफ़) seeds, coriander (धनिया) seeds and cumin (जीरा) seeds in pan and roast them for a minutes.
- Take out them into mortar and roughly crush with pestle. Keep aside.
- Finely chop green chillies (हरी मिर्च). Keep aside.
- Now in pan heat ghee (घी) and simmer the heat; add ginger – garlic (अदरक – लहसुन) paste and sauté till row aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away.
- Add chopped green chillies (हरी मिर्च). Mix well.
- Now, add red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder, turmeric (हल्दी) powder. Mix well.
- After this add boiled cut potatoes (आलू) and salt (नमक) to taste. Roughly mesh with the help spatula and mix well and cook cover for 1 minute on simmer.
- After 1 minute remove the cover and add roasted roughly crushed seeds mix which we make earlier. Mix well.
- Now, cook them over high heat for next 1-2 minutes until mixture starts sticking at the bottom of the pan; staring in-between. Make sure mixture do not burn, just little stick on bottom to get little golden color.
- Take of the heat and keep this mixture aside to cool it completely to room temperature.
- Method For Making Samosa:
- Now it’s a time to make samosa wrapping; take dough knead once more and make equal size small ball from this dough – usually from 1 cup all purpose flour (मैदा) dough makes 8-10 balls.
- With the help of rolling pin and board make flat rounds (just like puri).
- With the help of knife half cut each flat round to make semicircle.
- Pick up one half and brush it with a little water (पानी) along the straight edge of the wrap.
- Take one edge of the straight side, and place it on the other edge of the straight side to make a cone shape. Little press the corner of the cone to seal it.
- In this cone now add the stuffing; I usually add 1 1/2 tbsp and it fill my 3/4th space in a cone. Not go up to this.
- Now brush the inner side of unfilled wrapper area with water (पानी) and seal it by pressing the edges together.
- Place this samosa in graced tray and make sure they do not touch each other; also cover with damp cloth.
- Repeat steps 19 to 23 for all wraps.
- Once all row samosa’s ready deep fry them into a hot oil.
- Serve hot with chutney and tea/coffee in the evening or in any small get to gather.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not going to cost extra but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little commission and that amount will help in surviving this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these affiliate links.