Aloo chole – आलू छोले; is Punjabi dish and commonly found in any North Indian family. Mostly this dish served with mango pickle and puri, but I love to have it with curd and puri. In my home we make aloo chole once in a week and with puri we make them on festival like navaratri.
Try out this recipe and share your thought with us here in comment box.
Chickpeas (काबुली चना) – 1 cup
Potatoes (आलू) – 2 medium
Onion (प्याज) – 2 medium
Tomato (टमाटर) – 2 medium
Green chilies (हरी मिर्च) – 2
Coriander (हरा धनिया) – 3-4 sprigs
Cinnamon (दालचीनी) – 1 inch
Pomegranate powder (आमचूर) – 2 tbsp.
Turmeric (हल्दी) powder – 1/2 tbsp.
Red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder – 1/2 tbsp.
Garam masala (गरम मसाला) powder – 1/4 tsp.
Cumin (जीरा) powder – 1/2 tsp.
Ginger (अदरक) – 1/2 inch
Garlic (लहसुन) – 3-4 cloves
Oil (तेल) – 2 tbsp.
Salt (नमक) as per taste.
- Wash and soak chickpeas (काबुली चना) in water for whole night.
- On next morning boil these overnight soaked chickpeas (काबुली चना) in a pressure cooker up-to 3 whistle with pinch of salt or until not cooked, but don’t overcook; over cooked chickpeas (काबुली चना) spoil your dish.
- Separate from water (dry completely) and keep side to cool down in room temperature. Keep water also, we need it.
- Wash, boil, peel and finely big dice potato (आलू). Keep aside.
- In the mean while, finely chop onion (प्याज), tomato (टमाटर), coriander leaves (हरा धनिया) and green chilies (हरी मिर्च). Make a paste of ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
- Now in a deep pan or kadai heat oil; add chopped green chillies, ginger-garlic paste, cinnamon (दालचीनी) and black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची). Sauté until the row aroma of garlic (लहसुन) goes away.
- Now add chopped onion (प्याज) and sauté till onion become translucent.
- Now add chopped tomato, pomegranate powder (अनार का पाउडर), turmeric (हल्दी) powder, red chilli (लाल मिर्च) powder, garam masala powder, cumin (जीरा) powder and salt as per taste (remember you added Salt also in chickpeas while boiling). Sauté till oil starts separating from sides.
- Now add boiled chickpeas (काबुली चना) without water. Sauté for 2-3 minute and add boiled diced potato (आलू). Mix well and cook further for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water which separates from boiled chickpeas (काबुली चना), if require add more hot water; but don’t add too much water, we need not too much thin gravy. Bring it boil and cook simmer cover till gravy thicken enough.
- Your aloo chole ready, garnish with chopped coriander (हरा धनिया); serve hot with puri and mango pickle. You also serve it with plain curd.
This post may contain affiliate links, purchasing that product not cost extra for you but by your purchase A to Z Food Recipes will get some little amount and that amount will help in surviving of this website. So, please don’t hesitate to buy from these links.